- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 820
- Fat Content: 34g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12g
- Carbohydrate Content: 59g
- Sugar Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 16g
- Protein Content: 75g
- Sodium Content: 5g
Sara’s chilli con carne
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- garlic-clove - 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- chilli-powder - 2 tbsp mild chilli powder
- cumin - 2 tsp ground cumin
- oregano - 2 tsp dried oregano
- minced-beef - 1kg pack lean minced beef
- tomato - 400g can chopped tomato
- beef-stock-cube - 2 beef stock cubes (we like Just Bouillon)
- red-pepper - 2 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- sundried-tomato - 10 sundried tomatoes
- red-kidney-beans - 3 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained
- Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 3. Heat the oil, preferably in a large flameproof casserole, and fry the onions for 8 mins. Add the garlic, spices and oregano and cook for 1 min, then gradually add the mince, stirring well until browned. Stir in the tomatoes, add half a can of water, then crumble in the stock and season.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 30 mins. Stir in the peppers and sundried tomatoes, then cook for 30 mins more until the peppers are tender. Stir in the beans.
- To serve, reheat on the hob until bubbling. Serve with avocado or a big salad with avocado in it, some basmati rice or tortilla chips and a bowl of soured cream.
- If you want to use a slow cooker, fry your onions in a pan for 8 mins, then add your garlic, spices and oregano and cook for a minute. Gradually add the mince until it's brown. Tip into your slow cooker with the tomatoes, peppers, sundried tomatoes and beans, crumble in the stock cubes and season to taste. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours, then serve as above.
Retro party recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has olive oil, onion, garlic clove, chilli powder, cumin, oregano, minced beef, tomato, beef stock cube, red pepper, sundried tomato and red kidney beans.Add to Favourites