- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 524
- Fat Content: 23g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Carbohydrate Content: 59g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Sodium Content: 3.4g
Sausage & squash risotto
- butternut-squash - 350g pack ready-chopped butternut squash, or half a medium squash, peeled and chopped
- chicken-stock-cube - 2 low-sodium chicken stock cubes
- olive-oil - 2 tsp olive oil
- sausage - 6 good-quality sausages, meat squeezed from the skins and rolled into mini meatballs
- onion - 1 large onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- thyme-sprig - 6-8 thyme sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp turmeric
- risotto-rice - 200g risotto rice
- parmesan - 25g parmesan, grated, plus a little to serve
- Boil the kettle. Put the squash in a heatproof bowl, add a splash of water and cover with cling film. Microwave on High for 8-10 mins or until the squash is tender. Meanwhile, crumble the stock cubes into a pan, add 1.2 litres hot water from the kettle and set over a low heat to simmer gently.
- Heat the oil in a large, high-sided frying pan. Add the sausage meatballs and roll them around in the pan for 5-10 mins until browned all over and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion and sizzle gently for 5 mins, then add the garlic and cook for 1 min more, stirring to prevent it from burning. Stir in the thyme, turmeric and risotto rice for 1 min, coating the rice in the oil from the pan. Start adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring well every 1-2 mins until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Mash half the squash and add to the pan along with the sausage meatballs and Parmesan. Stir, then top with the remaining squash, cover with a lid and leave for 2 mins. Serve with extra Parmesan.
Family meal recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has butternut squash, chicken stock cube, olive oil, sausage, onion, garlic clove, thyme sprig, turmeric, risotto rice and parmesan.