- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 generously
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 763
- Fat Content: 43g
- Saturated Fat Content: 25g
- Carbohydrate Content: 90g
- Sugar Content: 56g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.71g
Schooldays treacle sponge
- unsalted-butter - 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- golden-syrup - 3 tbsp golden syrup, plus extra for drizzling
- breadcrumb - 1 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- brandy - splash brandy (optional but delicious)
- caster-sugar - 175g golden caster sugar
- lemon - zest 1 lemon
- egg - 3 large eggs, beaten
- self-raising-flour - 175g self-raising flour
- milk - 2 tbsp milk
- clotted-cream - clotted cream, to serve
- Use a small knob of butter to heavily grease a 1-litre pudding basin. In a small bowl, mix the golden syrup with the breadcrumbs and brandy, if using, then tip into the pudding basin.
- Beat butter with sugar and zest until light and fluffy, then add eggs gradually. Fold in the flour, then finally add the milk.
- Spoon the mix into the pudding basin. Cover with a double layer of buttered foil and baking paper, making a pleat in the centre to allow the pudding to rise. Tie the foil securely with string, then place in a steamer or large pan containing enough gently simmering water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. Steam for 1 1/2 hrs. Turn out onto a serving dish. Serve with lashings of clotted cream and a little extra golden syrup drizzled over if you wish.
Slow cooker recipe for 4 generously people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, golden syrup, breadcrumb, brandy, caster sugar, lemon, egg, self-raising flour, milk and clotted cream.