- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 269
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Sugar Content: 15g
- Fiber Content: 9g
- Protein Content: 27g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
Seared steak with celery & pepper caponata
- steak - 200g extra-lean fillet steak
- spinach - 140g fresh spinach
- oil - 1-cal oil spray
- red-onion - 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- chopped-tomato - 400g can chopped tomato
- celery - 2 celery sticks, sliced
- pepper - 1 orange pepper, deseeded, quartered and sliced
- black-kalamata-olive - 25g pitted black kalamata olive, halved (about 8)
- caper - 1 tbsp caper
- oregano - 1/2 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp fresh
- balsamic-vinegar - 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- For the caponata, spray a large, wide non-stick pan with 3 sprays of oil, and add the onion and garlic. Cover and cook for 5 mins, stirring halfway through to brown them.
- Tip in the tomatoes and a can of water, then stir in all the other caponata ingredients. Cover the pan and leave to simmer for 30 mins.
- Heat a griddle or small non-stick frying pan. Generously grind black pepper over the steak and sear on both sides, about 6 mins in total, until cooked to your liking. Allow to rest while you wilt the spinach in a covered pan on a low heat.
- Spoon the caponata onto 2 serving plates, top with the spinach, then slice the beef and arrange on top.
Paleo recipe for 2 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has steak, spinach, oil, red onion, garlic clove, chopped tomato, celery, pepper, black kalamata olive, caper, oregano and balsamic vinegar.