- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 134
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Fat Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
- Sugar Content: 13g
Shukhi – warm beetroot & mushroom salad
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- banana-shallot - 8 banana shallots, halved and sliced lengthways
- beetroot - 6 beetroot (around 900g/2lb), peeled and cut into matchsticks
- oyster-mushroom - 200g wild or oyster mushrooms
- sherry-vinegar - 6 tbsp sherry vinegar
- brown-sugar - 2 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- tarragon - few tarragon sprigs, leaves chopped
- rye-bread - small rye bread loaf, sliced and toasted
- dill - 1/2 small pack dill, chopped, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in an ovenproof frying pan and add the shallots. Cook over a medium-low heat for 5-10 mins until the shallots start colouring a little.
- Add the beetroot, season well and put the pan in the oven. Cook for 10 mins, then stir and return to the oven for another 10 mins until the shallots are golden and the beetroot is cooked through but still firm.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the mushrooms until golden. Mix the vinegar, sugar, garlic and some seasoning together to make the dressing. Taste to ensure you have a good balance of sweet and sour flavours - it should also be quite garlicky.
- When the beetroot is done, stir in the dressing and tarragon. Top the rye bread slices with some warm beetroot salad, the mushrooms and a scattering of dill.
Low-fat Christmas recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has rapeseed oil, banana shallot, beetroot, oyster mushroom, sherry vinegar, brown sugar, garlic clove, tarragon, rye bread and dill.