- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 470
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 52g
- Sugar Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 20g
- Sodium Content: 2g
Sicilian pizza (sfincione)
- fast-action-dried-yeast - 2 x 7g sachets fast-action dried yeast
- caster-sugar - 2 tsp caster sugar
- water - 200ml warm water
- flour - 375g strong white bread flour
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- pork-sausage - 2 pork sausages, preferably fennel-flavoured, skins removed then crumbled
- tomato-sauce - 4 tbsp good-quality tomato sauce
- ricotta - 4 tbsp ricotta
- cheese - 6 slices provolone cheese, cubed
- breadcrumb - 2 tbsp dried breadcrumb
- olive-oil - drizzle of olive oil
- First, make the dough. Mix the yeast and sugar with the warm water. Place the flour and salt in a mixer with a dough hook, or in a bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the liquid and oil. Mix by hand for 10 mins or 5 mins in the mixer, until dough is silky. Tip into a well-oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and place somewhere warm for about 40 mins or until doubled in size.
- Tip the dough onto a work surface and knead for 2 mins, knocking out any air pockets. The dough should be soft but not too elastic.
- Dust a 25 x 16cm baking tray with a little flour and place the dough in the centre. Using the palms of your hands and tips of your fingers, push the dough to the edges of the tray. Leave it for 30 mins to rise. While the dough is rising, fry the sausage in a dry pan until crumbly.
- Heat oven to 230C/210C fan/gas 8. Spread the tomato sauce over the base, followed by the sausage, ricotta, provolone and dried breadcrumbs. Finally, drizzle with olive oil. Put in the oven for 5 mins, then turn down the heat and cook at 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for 20-25 mins, until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly, then cut into 6 chunks and serve.
Holiday-at-home recipe for 6 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has fast-action dried yeast, caster sugar, water, flour, salt, olive oil, pork sausage, tomato sauce, ricotta, cheese, breadcrumb and olive oil.