- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 424
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 19g
- Carbohydrate Content: 26g
- Sugar Content: 19g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 30g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Skinny lamb biryani
- cauliflower-florets - 350g cauliflower florets
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp turmeric
- cardamom-pod - 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- fennel-seed - 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- black-onion-seed - a few pinches of black onion seeds or nigella seeds
- rapeseed-oil - 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- onion - 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ginger - 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- red-chilli - 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ground-cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- ground-coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- lamb - 200g very lean lamb steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- chopped-tomatoes - 200g can chopped tomatoes
- bouillon - 1 tsp bouillon
- flaked-almond - 15g toasted flaked almonds
- pomegranate-seed - 50g pomegranate seeds
- mint-leaf - handful small mint leaves
- Put the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it is reduced to rice-sized pieces. Tip into a large bowl and stir in the turmeric, cardamom, fennel seeds, black onion seeds and some seasoning. Cover with cling film, pierce and set aside.
- For the spicy lamb, heat the oil in a non-stick wok and fry the onion and ginger for 10 mins until soft and golden. Add the chilli and garlic, and cook for 1 min more.
- Stir in the cumin and coriander, cook briefly, then toss in the lamb and stir-fry for 1-2 mins until pale brown. Add the tomatoes and the bouillon, and cook for 2 mins - you are aiming for a thick sauce and really tender lamb that is still a little pink and juicy.
- Meanwhile, put the cauliflower in the microwave and cook on high for 3 mins. Tip out onto serving plates, dot the lamb and sauce in patches over the rice, then scatter with the almonds, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves to serve.
Healthy takeaway recipe for 2 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has cauliflower florets, turmeric, cardamom pod, fennel seed, black onion seed, rapeseed oil, onion, ginger, red chilli, garlic cloves, ground cumin, ground coriander, lamb, chopped tomatoes, bouillon, flaked almond, pomegranate seed and mint leaf.