- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 593
- Fat Content: 32g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11g
- Carbohydrate Content: 15g
- Sugar Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 61g
- Sodium Content: 8.3g
Slow-baked sticky gammon
- gammon - 3-4kg gammon (doesn't need to be 1 piece, just make up the weight with smaller joints)
- pineapple - 1 litre pineapple juice
- allspice - 1 tbsp ground allspice
- black-treacle - 100g black treacle
- ginger - 100g ginger, roughly chopped
- tomato-ketchup - 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- sweet-chilli-sauce - 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- clear-honey - 3 tbsp clear honey
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Fit the gammon, quite snugly, in a big, deep roasting tin or casserole. Reserve 150ml of the pineapple juice, then pour the rest over the gammon, plus enough water to fill the tin about three-quarters full. Cover tightly with a few sheets of foil, then put in the oven and bake for 4 hrs. About halfway through, check the liquid levels and turn the gammon.
- Remove the gammon and pour off the liquid. Cut away the rind and most of the fat, leaving just a thin layer of fat on the joints.
- Whizz the reserved pineapple juice, allspice, treacle, ginger, ketchup, sweet chilli and honey together to combine to a puree. Spoon all over the gammon and set aside until ready to serve (or, if you've made at home before taking to the host's house, cover and chill for up to 48 hrs).
- To serve, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Roast for 30 mins until hot and sticky, then loosely break into large chunks to serve.
Party food recipe for 10 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has gammon, pineapple, allspice, black treacle, ginger, tomato ketchup, sweet chilli sauce and clear honey.