- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 770
- Fat Content: 48g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 33g
- Sugar Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 49g
- Sodium Content: 0.48g
Slow-cooked pork & red cabbage
- pork - 1 1/2 kg/3lb 5oz pork shoulder
- black-peppercorn - 1 rounded tsp black peppercorns
- thyme-leaf - 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- olive-oil - 3 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 2 onions, chopped
- cabbage - 1 1/2 kg red cabbage, finely shredded
- apple - 2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- red-wine - 425ml red wine
- chestnut - 200g pack vacuum-packed chestnuts
- cranberry - 2 tbsp cranberry or redcurrant jelly
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Cut the pork into thick slices, about 3cm thick. Coarsely crush the peppercorns and sprinkle over the pork along with the thyme and some salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large flameproof casserole, then add the onions and fry until lightly browned. Add the cabbage and stir well, then add the apples and wine and cook until the cabbage starts to soften. Finally, add the chestnuts, 1 tbsp of the jelly, salt and pepper, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan, add the pork and fry on both sides until browned, then stir in the remaining tbsp of the jelly. Cook for a few mins until the pork is deeply browned and glistening. Arrange the pork over the cabbage. Pour a little boiling water into the frying pan, stir well to lift up all the pan juices, then pour over the pork.
- Cover the pan tightly, then cook in the oven for 1 1/4 -1 1/2 hrs until the pork is very tender.
Slow-cooked recipe for 6 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has pork, black peppercorn, thyme leaf, olive oil, onion, cabbage, apple, red wine, chestnut and cranberry.