- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 690
- Fat Content: 43g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 58g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Slow cooker beef topside with red wine gravy
- black-peppercorns - 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- english-mustard-powder - 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- rosemary - 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- celery-seeds - 1 tsp celery seeds
- porcini-mushrooms - 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- rapeseed-oil - 4 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- beef - 1.6kg beef topside, cut into 12 slices
- beef-stock - 600ml hot beef stock
- carrot - 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- onion - 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- celery - 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- tomato-puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- red-wine - 200ml red wine
- cornflour - 1 tbsp cornflour (optional)
- Crush the peppercorns with the mustard, rosemary, celery seeds and a little salt using apestle and mortar. Blitz the mushrooms to a fine powder in afood processor, then stir them in with 2 tbsp oil and rub all over the beef. Cover and chill for at least 1 hr, but overnight is best.
- Heat theslow cookerto high and pour in the stock. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan and brown the beef, then put in the slow cooker skin-side up. Fry the carrot, onion and celery in the same pan over a medium-high heat for about 10 mins. Stir in the tomato puree and wine, scraping the bits off the bottom of the pan, then add this to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hrs, then strain the liquid into a pan. Keep the meat and veg covered with foil so they stay warm. Bring the liquid to the boil, then simmer until reduced by a third and season. For thicker gravy, mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp water and whisk into the boiling liquid. Serve the beef with the gravy, along with some mash and greens.
Slow cooker recipe for 6 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has black peppercorns, english mustard powder, rosemary, celery seeds, porcini mushrooms, rapeseed oil, beef, beef stock, carrot, onion, celery, tomato purée, red wine and cornflour.