- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 329
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Sugar Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 33g
- Sodium Content: 4.3g
Slow cooker gammon in cola
- gammon-joint - 1 1/2 -1.8kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint
- cola - 2l cola (not diet)
- carrot - 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- onion - 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- celery - 1 stick celery, chopped
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- peppercorns - 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- bay-leaf - 1 bay leaf
- maple-syrup - 150ml maple syrup
- wholegrain-mustard - 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- red-wine-vinegar - 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- cloves - pinch of ground cloves or five-spice
- Set yourslow cookerto medium. Place the gammon joint in and cover with the cola. Add 1 chopped carrot, 1 quartered onion, 1 chopped celery stick, 1 cinnamon stick, 1/2 tbsp peppercorns and 1 bay leaf.
- Cook for 5 1/2 hrs on low until the gammon is tender but still holding its shape, topping up with boiling water if necessary to keep the gammon fully covered.
- Carefully pour the liquid away, then let the ham cool a little while you heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Lift the ham into aroasting tin, then cut away the skin leaving behind an even layer of fat. Score the fat all over in a criss-cross pattern.
- Mix the maple syrup, mustard, vinegar and ground cloves or five-spice in a jug. Pour half over the fat, roast for 15 mins, then pour over the rest and return to the oven for another 30 mins.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins, then spoon more glaze over the top.Can be roasted on the day or up to two days ahead and served cold.
Christmas recipe for 6-8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has gammon joint, cola, carrot, onion, celery, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, bay leaf, maple syrup, wholegrain mustard, red wine vinegar and cloves.