Smoky paprika peppers
- olive-oil - 500ml mild olive oil
- paprika - 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- black-peppercorn - 1 tbsp black peppercorn
- fennel - 1 tbsp fennel seed
- red-pepper - 8 red peppers
- yellow-pepper - 8 yellow peppers
- sea-salt - sea salt flakes
- white-wine-vinegar - 300ml white wine vinegar
- flatleaf-parsley - small bunch flatleaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- Pour the oil into a medium saucepan. Add the paprika and garlic, heat very gently for 5 mins, then leave to cool. Lay a piece of muslin over a sieve and strain, discarding the garlic and paprika to leave bright orange, scented oil. In another pan, dry-fry the spices for 1 min to release their aromas. Add to the paprika oil and set aside.
- Heat the grill to high. Cut the peppers in half (leave the stalks in place - they'll easily pull out later), and spread over 2 large baking sheets, skin side up. Grill for about 15 mins, until the skins are blackened. Transfer the still-hot peppers to plastic food bags, seal and leave to cool. Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins, pull out the stalks, scrape away the seeds, and tear into large pieces.
- Bring the vinegar and 300ml water to a simmer in a large pan and tip in the peppers. Bring back to a simmer for 3 mins, then drain well and pack into jars or heatproof containers. Gently reheat the spiced oil for a few mins, then pour over the peppers and seal. Add the parsley before you serve the peppers (or add now if you're planning to use them same day) as the parsley will discolour. Keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Edible gift recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has olive oil, paprika, garlic clove, black peppercorn, fennel, red pepper, yellow pepper, sea salt, white wine vinegar and flatleaf parsley.