- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 438
- Fat Content: 28g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 26g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 21g
- Sodium Content: 3.3g
Soft-boiled egg, bacon & watercress salad
- large-egg - 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- shallot - 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- red-wine-vinegar - 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- wholegrain-mustard - 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- chive - handful chives, snipped (optional)
- bacon - 4 thick rashers streaky smoked dry-cured bacon
- crusty-bread - 2 slices good white crusty bread (ideally sourdough)
- watercress - 2 good handfuls British watercress, thick stems removed
- Put the eggs in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 mins, then lift into a bowl of iced water and cool completely. Very carefully peel away the shells. Leave the eggs in the iced water until you finish the recipe, or for up to 1 hr ahead.
- Mix the shallot with the vinegar and a pinch of salt, then set aside for a few minutes to soften. Whisk in the mustard, oil and chives, if using, to make a dressing.
- Heat the grill to low-medium and cook the bacon until crisp right through. Remove the bacon, then brush the bacon juice and fat all over the bread. Grill the bread for about 1 min on each side until crisp, then cut into soldiers and keep warm.
- Just before serving, bring the pan of water back to the boil and add the eggs. Boil for 1 min to reheat. Toss the dressing with the watercress and divide between 2 plates. Top with an egg and 2 rashers of bacon, with the toast to the side. The egg yolks will still be runny inside.
Dairy-free breakfast recipe for 2 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has large egg, shallot, red wine vinegar, wholegrain mustard, rapeseed oil, chive, bacon, crusty bread and watercress.