- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 514
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 79g
- Sugar Content: 33g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Sour cherry & marzipan chrysanthemum pastry
- cherries - 100g dried sour cherries
- sloe-gin - 4 tbsp sloe gin or port (or cherry juice)
- cherry-jam - 2 tbsp cherry jam
- marzipan - 200g marzipan (log shaped is best)
- egg - 1 egg, beaten
- demerara-sugar - 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- milk - 250ml milk
- plain-yogurt - 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- yeast - 1 tsp easy bake yeast
- golden-caster-sugar - 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- egg - 1 large egg
- plain-flour - 500g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- butter - 75g butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- round-cutter - 7cm round cutter
- First, make the dough. Put all the ingredients and a pinch of salt into a stand mixer and mix on low. When it forms a dough, knead for a couple of mins, then cover with a damp cloth. Leave it overnight or at least 8 hrs in a cool place. If you want to speed up the process, knead for about 10 mins until you have a smooth, pliable dough, then cover and leave to rise for 1 hr.
- Put the cherries in a pan with the sloe gin and cherry jam, then bring to a simmer. Leave to cool. Cut the marzipan into 36 thin slices.
- Butter a 24cm pie dish with sloping sides or shallow cake tin. On a lightly floured surface, cut the dough into four sections and very briefly knead each one. Keep the pieces you're not using covered and, one at a time, roll out one piece until it's about 4mm thick. Cut out circles using a 7cm cutter. Save all the off-cuts in case you need to re-roll them. You'll need 30-36 circles.
- Lay a piece of marzipan on each circle of dough and add a small spoonful of cherry mixture. Fold the circles in half, then bring the two points together like a fortune cookie. Arrange them in the tin, around the edges with the points facing in. Make a second, smaller circle, then, finally, fill the centre. Cover with buttered cling film and leave for 1 hr.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Brush the top of the dough with the egg and scatter with the sugar. Bake for 35-40 mins (turn the oven down if the dough browns too much). Cool a little and eat warm. Can be frozen once baked for 2 months. Wrap in foil and reheat from frozen in the oven.
Festive dessert recipe for 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has cherries, sloe gin, cherry jam, marzipan, egg, demerara sugar, milk, plain yogurt, yeast, golden caster sugar, egg, plain flour, butter and round cutter.