- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 473
- Fat Content: 17g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 49g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 24g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Spanish rice with squid, prawn & fennel
- squid - 300g cleaned squid (ask your fishmonger to do this for you)
- king-prawns - 8 large king prawns, head and shell on
- olive-oil - 5 tbsp olive oil
- fennel-seeds - 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- lemon - 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- garlic-cloves - 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- onion - 2 onions, finely chopped
- fennel-bulb - 1 fennel bulb, half finely chopped, half finely sliced using a mandoline if you have one, fronds reserved
- risotto-rice - 200g paella or risotto rice
- white-wine - 125ml white wine
- squid-ink - 3 sachets squid ink (available from souschef.co.uk)
- fish-stock - 500ml chicken or fish stock
- parsley - chopped parsley, to serve
- Slice the squid into rings and tip into a mixing bowl with the tentacles, prawns, 4 tbsp olive oil, fennel seeds, the lemon juice, half the garlic and some seasoning, then set aside.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 6. Heat the remaining oil in a shallow, wide ovenproof pan. Fry the onions and chopped fennel for about 10 mins until soft and starting to turn golden, add the remaining garlic and cook for another 5 mins. Scatter in the rice, stir and cook until it just starts to crackle. Pour in the wine, ink and stock and bring up to a simmer, giving everything a gentle stir to incorporate the ink. Stir through most of the sliced squid, keeping a few rings and the tentacles back.
- Transfer the pan to the oven, cook for 25 mins, then place the prawns and remaining squid on top and drizzle everything with the oil from the marinade. Put back in the oven for another 10 mins or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and seafood are just cooked. Scatter over the sliced fennel and fronds, lemon zest, and the chopped parsley. Place in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves.
Healthy one-pot recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has squid, king prawns, olive oil, fennel seeds, lemon, garlic cloves, onion, fennel bulb, risotto rice, white wine, squid ink, fish stock and parsley.