- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 238
- Fat Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 34g
- Sugar Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.25g
Spiced carrot & lentil soup
- cumin-seed - 2 tsp cumin seeds
- chilli-flakes - pinch chilli flakes
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- carrot - 600g carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- split-red-lentil - 140g split red lentils
- vegetable-stock - 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- milk - 125ml milk (to make it dairy-free, see 'try' below)
- yogurt - plain yogurt and naan bread, to serve
- Heat a largesaucepanand dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g coarsely grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz the soup with astick blenderor in afood processoruntil smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
- Season to taste and finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
All-time top 20 recipe for 4 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has cumin seed, chilli flakes, olive oil, carrot, split red lentil, vegetable stock, milk and yogurt.Add to Favourites