- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 445
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 47g
- Sugar Content: 27g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 33g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Spiced chicken, spinach & sweet potato stew
- sweet-potato - 3 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- spinach - 190g bag spinach
- sunflower-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- chicken-thigh - 8 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- chicken-stock - 500ml chicken stock
- onion - 2 onions, chopped
- red-chilli - 1 red chilli, chopped
- paprika - 1 tsp paprika
- ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- tomato - 400g can tomatoes
- lemon - 2 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- pumpkin-seed - pumpkin seeds, toasted
- lemon - 2-3 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- naan-bread - 4 naan bread, warmed
- Put the sweet potato in a large, deep saucepan over a high heat. Cover with boiling water and boil for 10 mins. Meanwhile, put all the paste ingredients in a food processor and blend until very finely chopped. Set aside until needed.
- Put the spinach in a large colander in the sink and pour the sweet potatoes and their cooking water over it to drain the potatoes and wilt the spinach at the same time. Leave to steam-dry.
- Return the saucepan to the heat (no need to wash it first), then add the oil, followed by the spice paste. Fry the paste for about 5 mins until thickened, then add the chicken. Fry for 8-10 mins until the chicken starts to colour. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Check the chicken is cooked by cutting into one of the thighs and making sure it's white throughout with no signs of pink. Season with black pepper, then add the sweet potato. Leave to simmer for a further 5 mins. Meanwhile, roughly chop the spinach and add to the stew.At this point you can leave the stew to cool and freeze for up to 3 months, if you like.
- Scatter over the pumpkin seeds and preserved lemons, and serve with warm naan bread on the side.
Healthy sweet potato recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has sweet potato, spinach, sunflower oil, chicken thigh, chicken stock, onion, red chilli, paprika, ginger, tomato, lemon, pumpkin seed, lemon and naan bread.Add to Favourites