- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 10 - 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 429
- Carbohydrate Content: 9g
- Fat Content: 24g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 45g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 5.7g
- Sugar Content: 8g
Spiced Christmas gammon with membrillo glaze
- gammon - 3 1/2 kg boneless tied gammon joint (check with your butcher if it needs to be soaked)
- carrot - 2 carrots, halved
- celery - 2 celery sticks, halved
- leek - 2 leeks, quartered
- onion - 2 onions, halved
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- peppercorn - 2 tsp peppercorn
- clove - small handful clove, for studding
- allspice - 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- ground-cinnamon - 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- membrillo - 6 tbsp membrillo (quince paste)
- sherry-vinegar - 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- orange-juice - 2 tbsp orange juice
- Pop your soaked (see tip, below) or ready-to-use joint in a large stock pot or preserving pan and nestle the vegetables, bay leaves and peppercorns around it. Pour over enough water to cover the gammon and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 21/2 hrs, turning once, topping up with boiling water if it needs it, and skimming off any impurities.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Remove the joint from the poaching liquid and place in a roasting tin (you can use the strained poaching liquid for soups). Pat it dry with some kitchen paper and leave to cool a little until you can handle it. Remove the ties around the gammon and carefully trim away the skin, leaving an even layer of fat. Score all over in a diamond pattern and stud with cloves.
- Pop the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and cook for a couple of mins to thicken and dissolve the membrillo. Brush half the mixture over the gammon, then bake for 15 mins. Brush on another layer and bake for another 15 mins or until golden and sticky. Rest for 15 mins before slicing, or eat cold over the next few days.
Christmas ham recipe for 10 – 12 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has gammon, carrot, celery, leek, onion, bay leaf, peppercorn, clove, allspice, ground cinnamon, membrillo, sherry vinegar and orange juice.