- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 128
- Fat Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Sugar Content: 0.03g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0g
Spiced flat breads
- plain-flour - 140g plain flour
- wholemeal-flour - 140g wholemeal flour
- yeast - 7g sachet easy-blend yeast
- butter - 1 tbsp melted butter, plus extra for brushing
- garlic-clove - 2 fat garlic cloves, chopped
- chilli - 1 large red or green chilli, seeded and chopped
- sesame - 2 tsp sesame seeds
- coriander - 2 tsp ground fenugreek or ground coriander
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- coriander - 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- If making the paste, use a food processor, electric spice mill or pestle and mortar to blend together the garlic, chilli, sesame seeds and ground spice to a thick paste. Work in the oil, then the coriander, to a spreading paste and season. Set aside.
- Put the flours, 1 tsp salt and yeast into a large bowl and mix. Stir 120ml tepid water into the melted butter, then mix this into the flour, adding extra drops of tepid water until you have a smooth dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 mins, then return to the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled in size. This should take 1 hr.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls. Roll out each ball on a lightly floured surface to a rough 18cm circle the thickness of a 10p coin. Prick each one well with a fork to stop them rising. To cook on a barbecue: put the breads on the centre of the grill. Cook for a few mins, then turn and cook the other side. If using the paste, spread 1 tsp on one side as the breads come off the heat. Otherwise, brush the breads with more melted butter. Reheat the griddle between batches and stack them on top of each other to keep warm.
Wholemeal bread recipe for 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has plain flour, wholemeal flour, yeast, butter, garlic clove, chilli, sesame, coriander, olive oil and coriander.