- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 (makes 8 fritters)
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 509
- Fat Content: 34g
- Saturated Fat Content: 24g
- Carbohydrate Content: 35g
- Sugar Content: 19g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Spiced oatmeal fritters with coconut caramel pears
- almond-milk - 250ml almond milk
- ground-cloves - 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- ground-nutmeg - 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ground-cinnamon - 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- oats - 100g rolled oats
- egg - 3 large eggs
- golden-caster-sugar - 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- coconut-butter - 75g coconut butter
- pear - 2 firm Williams pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- yogurt - 200g coconut yogurt, to serve
- In a large saucepan, combine the almond milk, cloves, nutmeg and 3 tsp of the cinnamon. Bring to a simmer. Tip in the oats and cook for 6 mins over a low heat, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy, like porridge. Scrape into a mixing bowl, cover, and cool for 20 mins.
- While you wait, make the caramel pears. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over a frying pan set on a low heat. Don't stir it, but wait until it starts to melt, turning dark golden here and there. When most of the sugar is melted, gently swirl to incorporate any dry patches. Stir in 25g of the coconut butter. Toss the pear slices in the remaining cinnamon, then add to the caramel and cook for 5 mins until softened. Set aside.
- Return to the oats now, beating in the eggs and 1/2 tsp salt to make a loose pancake-like batter. Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1 and put plates in to warm.
- Melt a little of the remaining coconut butter in a frying pan. When hot, add half-ladlefuls of the batter spaced apart and cook for 4 mins each side, or until golden brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm in the oven. Continue frying the fritters, adding more coconut butter as needed. Serve the fritters topped with a spoonful of coconut yogurt followed by the warm pears.
Dairy-free breakfast recipe for 4 (makes 8 fritters) people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has almond milk, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, oats, egg, golden caster sugar, coconut butter, pear and yogurt.