- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 397
- Fat Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 81g
- Sugar Content: 54g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Spiced rice pudding with blackberry compote
- rice - 200g brown rice
- cornflour - 2 tsp cornflour
- skimmed-milk - 500g skimmed milk
- condensed-milk - 405g can light condensed milk
- cinnamon-stick - 1 long or 2 short cinnamon sticks
- cardamom-pod - 5 cardamom pods, crushed with a rolling pin
- nutmeg - good grating nutmeg
- vanilla-pod - 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out
- blackberry - 500g frozen blackberry
- agave-syrup - 1 tbsp agave syrup
- Cook the rice following pack instructions - don't be tempted to cook it until al dente - it will not continue to cook in the milk later, so it needs to be nice and soft at this point.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour to a paste with a little of the milk until smooth. Add this to a saucepan with the remaining milk, condensed milk, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, vanilla and a good pinch of salt. Stir until smooth, then bring to a simmer. Turn down to very low heat and leave to gently infuse while the rice cooks.
- When the rice is cooked, drain well, then add to the warm milk mixture. Turn up the heat and bubble until thick and creamy - this will take about 20-25 mins.
- To make the blackberry compote, empty the blackberries into a saucepan, add the agave syrup and bring to a simmer. Boil for a few mins. Cool for a few mins before serving, or serve at room temperature with the rice pudding.
Low-fat dessert recipe for 6 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has rice, cornflour, skimmed milk, condensed milk, cinnamon stick, cardamom pod, nutmeg, vanilla pod, blackberry and agave syrup.Add to Favourites