- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 6 adults, or 4 adults and 4 kids
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 400
- Fat Content: 18g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 18g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 43g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
Spicy beef stew with beans & peppers
- vegetable-oil - 3 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- beef - 1kg stewing beef, cut into chunks
- onion - 1 onion, sliced
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- plain-flour - 1 tbsp plain flour
- treacle - 1 tbsp black treacle
- cumin - 1 tsp cumin
- tomato - 400g can chopped tomato
- beef-stock - 600ml beef stock (from a cube is fine)
- red-pepper - 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- cannellini-bean - 400g can cannellini bean, drained and rinsed
- soured-cream - soured cream and coriander, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan with a lid. Season meat, then cook about one-third over a high heat for 10 mins until browned. Tip onto a plate and repeat with 2 tbsp of oil and rest of the meat.
- Add a splash of water and scrape pan to remove bits. Add 1/2 tbsp oil. Turn heat down, fry onion and garlic until softened. Return meat to the pan, add flour and stir for 1 min. Add treacle, cumin, tomatoes and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hr 45 mins. Stir occasionally and check that the meat is covered with liquid.
- Add peppers and beans, and cook for a further 15 mins. The stew can now be cooled and kept in the fridge for 2 days, or frozen for 1 month. Serve in bowls, with sour cream, coriander and cornbread.
Slow-cooked recipe for 6 adults, or 4 adults and 4 kids people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, beef, onion, garlic clove, plain flour, treacle, cumin, tomato, beef stock, red pepper, cannellini bean and soured cream.