- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 397
- Fat Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 65g
- Sugar Content: 19g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Spinach, sweet potato & lentil dhal
- sesame-oil - 1 tbsp sesame oil
- red-onion - 1 red onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- chilli - 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- ground-turmeric - 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- ground-cumin - 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- sweet-potato - 2 sweet potatoes (about 400g/14oz), cut into even chunks
- red-split-lentils - 250g red split lentils
- vegetable-stock - 600ml vegetable stock
- spinach - 80g bag of spinach
- spring-onion - 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal, to serve
- basil - 1/2 small pack of Thai basil, leaves torn, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a wide-basedpanwith a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 1 finely chopped red onion and cook over a low heat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add 1 crushedgarlicclove, a finely chopped thumb-sized piece of ginger and 1 finely chopped red chilli, cook for 1 min, then add 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric and 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin and cook for 1 min more.
- Turn up the heat to medium, add 2 sweet potatoes, cut into even chunks, and stir everything together so the potato is coated in the spice mixture.
- Tip in 250g red split lentils, 600ml vegetable stock and some seasoning.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 mins until the lentils are tender and the potato is just holding its shape.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, then gently stir in the 80g spinach. Once wilted, top with the 4 diagonally sliced spring onions and 1/2 small pack torn basil leaves to serve.
- Alternatively, allow to cool completely, then divide betweenairtight containersand store in the fridge for a healthy lunchbox.
Marathon recipe for 4 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has sesame oil, red onion, garlic clove, ginger, chilli, ground turmeric, ground cumin, sweet potato, red split lentils, vegetable stock, spinach, spring onion and basil.