- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 225
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 36g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.03g
Squash, orange & barley salad
- pearl-barley - 175g pearl barley
- butternut-squash - 1kg peeled squash or 1 butternut squash, unpeeled
- olive-oil - 3 tbsp olive oil
- orange - zest and juice 1 orange
- red-wine-vinegar - 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- red-onion - 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- mint - small bunch mint, chopped, reserving a few leaves to serve
- parsley - small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped, reserving a few leaves to serve
- rocket - 2 handfuls rocket
- Boil the barley for 20-25 mins until just tender but with a little bite. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. If using butternut, thickly slice into rounds, flicking out the seeds as you go, or slice small, round squashes into thin wedges. Toss with 1 tbsp oil, the orange zest and seasoning. Spread over a baking sheet and roast for 40 mins until golden and tender, turning halfway. Set aside while you finish the dish.
- Mix the orange juice, vinegar and remaining oil with the pearl barley and plenty of seasoning. Stir in the onion and chopped herbs, then layer up on a platter with the squash, rocket and remaining mint and parsley leaves.
Dairy-free lunch recipe for 6 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has pearl barley, butternut squash, olive oil, orange, red wine vinegar, red onion, mint, parsley and rocket.