- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 140
- Fat Content: 1g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 31g
- Sugar Content: 22g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.17g
Sticky malt loaves
- sunflower-oil - sunflower oil, for greasing
- tea - 150ml hot black tea
- malt-extract - 175g malt extract, plus extra for glazing (see tip)
- dark-muscovado-sugar - 85g dark muscovado sugar
- dried-fruit - 300g mixed dried fruit
- egg - 2 large eggs, beaten
- plain-flour - 250g plain flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line the base and ends of two greased 450g/1lb non-stick loaf tins with strips of baking parchment.
- Pour the hot tea into a mixing bowl with the malt, sugar and dried fruit. Stir well, then add the eggs.
- Tip in the flour, then quickly stir in the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and pour into the prepared tins. Bake for 50 mins until firm and well risen. While still warm, brush with a little more malt to glaze and leave to cool.
- Remove from the tins. If you can bear not to eat it straight away, it gets more sticky after wrapping and keeping for 2-5 days. Serve sliced and buttered, if you like.
Eat like an athlete recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has sunflower oil, tea, malt extract, dark muscovado sugar, dried fruit, egg, plain flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.Add to Favourites