- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 126
- Fat Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 22g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Stout & apple wheaten bread
- butter - 60g butter, cut into small cubes, plus more for the tins
- apple - 1 large apple (or 2 small ones), peeled, cored and diced
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- wholemeal-flour - 450g wholemeal flour
- oatmeal - 90g medium oatmeal
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 2 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- muscovado-sugar - 4 tbsp muscovado sugar
- stout - 175ml good-quality stout
- treacle - 5 tbsp treacle
- buttermilk - 400ml buttermilk
- oat - oat flakes, pinhead oatmeal or sesame seeds (or a mixture of all three) to sprinkle over the top
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter three 1lb loaf tins. Toss the apple with 2 tbsp of the plain flour. Mix the flours and oatmeal with 1 tsp salt and the bicarbonate of soda. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and gradually pour in the stout, followed by the treacle, then the buttermilk. Mix the liquids in with a butter knife as they are added, also working in the floured apple - work quickly and be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the mixture between the loaf tins, sprinkle over the oats or seeds. and bake for 35-40 mins. To test whether the loaves are ready, remove one from the tin and tap the bottom. If it sounds hollow, it's ready; if not, return to the oven for a little longer. Turn the loaves out of the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Wholemeal bread recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has butter, apple, plain flour, wholemeal flour, oatmeal, bicarbonate of soda, muscovado sugar, stout, treacle, buttermilk and oat.