- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 10 - 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 704
- Fat Content: 58g
- Saturated Fat Content: 35g
- Carbohydrate Content: 35g
- Sugar Content: 30g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Strawberry & elderflower trifle
- double-cream - 600ml pot double cream
- vanilla-pod - 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- egg-yolk - 4 large egg yolks
- cornflour - 1 tbsp cornflour
- elderflower-cordial - 50ml elderflower cordial
- golden-caster-sugar - 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ginger-wine - 350ml ginger wine
- leaf-gelatine - 3 sheets leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water for 5 mins
- lemon-drizzle-cake - 200g lemon drizzle cake, broken into small chunks
- strawberries - 400g punnet of strawberries, hulled and halved
- golden-caster-sugar - 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- balsamic-vinegar - 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- double-cream - 600ml double cream
- vanilla-bean-paste - 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- icing-sugar - 50g icing sugar
- biscuits - a few ginger biscuits, crushed
- lemon-thyme - 1 tsp lemon thyme leaves
- For the custard, heat the double cream and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Whisk together the eggs, cornflour, cordial and sugar in a bowl, then pour in the hot vanilla cream. Pour into a clean pan and set over a low-medium heat for 5-6 mins until thick and glossy. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Put the wine and gelatine in a separate pan, heat gently to dissolve, then pass through another fine sieve into a jug and leave to cool slightly.
- Put the lemon drizzle cake in a trifle or serving dish, pour over the jelly and place in the fridge for 1 hr to set. Once set, pour the custard onto the trifle base and leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, put the strawberries, caster sugar and vinegar in a mixing bowl, toss together and leave in the fridge for 1 hr or so. Spoon the strawberries on top of the custard, along with the balsamic juices.
- Whisk the double cream, vanilla and icing sugar together, then spoon on top of the trifle. To serve, crumble over the biscuits and scatter with thyme.
Summer dessert recipe for 10 – 12 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has double cream, vanilla pod, egg yolk, cornflour, elderflower cordial, golden caster sugar, ginger wine, leaf gelatine, lemon drizzle cake, strawberries, golden caster sugar, balsamic vinegar, double cream, vanilla bean paste, icing sugar, biscuits and lemon thyme.Add to Favourites