- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 404
- Fat Content: 28.2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 40g
- Sugar Content: 10.5g
- Fiber Content: 2.2g
- Protein Content: 4.8g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Sugar-free carrot cake
- pecan - 100g pecan
- self-raising-flour - 140g self-raising flour, sieved
- ground-cinnamon - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- xylitol - 140g xylitol
- egg - 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- rapeseed-oil - 140ml rapeseed oil
- carrot - 175g grated carrot
- sultana - 100g sultana
- agave-syrup - drizzle of agave syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ Gas mark 4. Grease and line an 18cm round cake tin with baking parchment. Set aside 12 pecans and roughly chop the rest.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, xylitol and chopped pecans.
- In a separate bowl or jug, beat the eggs and rapeseed oil together. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Stir through the carrot and sultanas. Spoon into the lined tin, smooth the surface and press whole pecans to form a circle around the edge.
- Cook for 1 hour - 1 hour 10 mins until the top feels springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Check after 50 mins, if the cake is becoming too dark, cover loosely with foil. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out and allow to cool. Serve slightly warm or cold. This cake keeps for up to five days in a tin. Before serving, drizzle with agave syrup if you have a sweet tooth.
Dairy-free snack recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has pecan, self-raising flour, ground cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, xylitol, egg, rapeseed oil, carrot, sultana and agave syrup.