- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 12 - 15
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 694
- Fat Content: 45g
- Saturated Fat Content: 23g
- Carbohydrate Content: 58g
- Sugar Content: 39g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Summer berry cake with rose geranium cream
- butter - 325g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for the tins
- caster-sugar - 425g caster sugar
- almond-extract - 2 tsp almond extract
- lemon - 1/2 lemon, finely zested
- plain-yogurt - 250g plain yogurt
- egg - 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- self-raising-flour - 375g self-raising flour
- ground-almonds - 225g ground almonds
- mascarpone - 200g mascarpone
- double-cream - 300ml double cream
- lemon-juice - 1 tbsp lemon juice
- icing-sugar - icing sugar, to taste, plus extra for dusting
- rose-geranium-water - 1-2 tsp rose geranium water or rose water, to taste (see tip, below)
- summer-berries - 800g summer berries (raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, hulled strawberries and loganberries)
- caster-sugar - 4 tbsp caster sugar
- rose-geranium-flowers - rose geranium flowers or other edible flowers
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line the bases of three 23cm cake tins. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the almond extract and lemon zest. Use a fork towhiskthe yogurt with the eggs. With the mixer on a low speed, add the flour, ground almonds and 1/2 tsp salt to the butter and sugar, alternating with the yogurt and eggs.
- Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 35-40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then turn out onto awire rack, remove the parchment and leave to cool.
- Beat the mascarpone to loosen it. Whip the cream until it holds its shape. Combine the cream, mascarpone and lemon juice, then carefully add the icing sugar and flower water to taste.
- Assemble the cake just before serving. Toss the berries with the caster sugar. Spread the flattest cake with half the cream, then add half the fruit. Top with a second cake, spread with the rest of the cream and top with the rest of the fruit. Finish with the last cake, sift over icing sugar, then decorate with rose geranium petals and rose geranium leaves (as long as they're small).
Summer cake recipe for 12-15 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has butter, caster sugar, almond extract, lemon, plain yogurt, egg, self-raising flour, ground almonds, mascarpone, double cream, lemon juice, icing sugar, rose geranium water, summer berries, caster sugar and rose geranium flowers.