- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 176
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 13g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- cornflake - 2 handfuls cornflakes, about 25g/1oz
- beef-mince - 225g/ 8oz beef mince
- basil-leaf - small bunch basil leaf, ripped into small pieces
- large-egg - 1 large egg, beaten
- plain-flour - few handfuls plain flour, about 75g/2 1/2 oz
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- tomato - 6 each mini burger buns, lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- tomato-ketchup - tomato ketchup, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. First, crush the cornflakes by placing them in a freezer bag, then breaking with the rolling pin. This is fun (but mind your fingers) and try not to bash them to dust, just to rough flakes. Put in a bowl.
- Tip the mince into another bowl, add the basil and a little ground pepper. For lean mince you may need to add 1 tbsp beaten egg to help it bind (stick together), then mix it well. Put some flour on a plate and some beaten egg on another plate.
- Take about a sixth of the mince mix and shape it into a small burger. Do this by squashing it quite firmly in the palm of your hand. (Burger-shaping will transfer a skill your child may have from playing with modelling clay to the kitchen as they create a ball in their palm, then squash it into a flatter patty.)
- Next roll the burger in the flour. Then roll it all over in a little egg. Then roll it quite liberally in the crushed cornflakes. Now place it on the oiled baking sheet and start the process again until you have used up all the mix. Try to keep the sizes even so that the burgers cook in the same time.
- Lightly drip oil onto the top of each burger using a pastry brush and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins until cooked through. Serve the burgers in the split buns with lettuce, tomato slices and some ketchup.
Kids’ cooking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has cornflake, beef mince, basil leaf, large egg, plain flour, vegetable oil, tomato and tomato ketchup.