- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 337
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Sugar Content: 16g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 32g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Swedish meatballs with beetroot & apple salad
- pork-mince - 500g lean pork mince (5% fat)
- courgette - 100g coarsely grated courgette, squeezed of excess juice
- onion - 1 onion, grated
- dill - 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- egg - 1 egg
- rapeseed-oil - 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- thyme-leaves - 1 tsp thyme leaves
- vegetable-bouillon-powder - 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, made up to 300ml with boiling water
- creme-fraiche - 2 tbsp half-fat creme fraiche
- apple - 1 large apple, chopped
- red-onion - 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- parsley - 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- capers - 2 tsp capers
- lemon - 1/2 lemon, juiced
- beetroot - 320g cooked beetroot, cut into strips
- To make the meatballs, tip the pork into a bowl and add the grated courgette and onion, half the dill, half the garlic and plenty of black pepper. Break in the egg and mix well with your hands. When everything is well combined, break off walnut-size pieces and roll into balls - you should end up with about 28. The mixture will be very soft.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan then gently fry the meatballs in two batches until firm and pale golden, turning them every now and then so they brown evenly. Each batch should take 6-8 mins.
- Wipe out the pan to remove excess fat and add the remaining garlic and thyme, then pour in the bouillon and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat, stir in the creme fraiche and remaining dill, then return the meatballs to the pan and turn them in the mixture until coated.
- For the salad, mix the apple, onion, parsley and capers with the lemon, then stir through the beetroot. Serve the salad alongside the meatballs. If you're cooking for two people, eat half the meatballs and salad now, and chill the rest for another day - it will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat the meatballs in the microwave until piping hot.
Healthy summer recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has pork mince, courgette, onion, dill, garlic cloves, egg, rapeseed oil, thyme leaves, vegetable bouillon powder, crème fraîche, apple, red onion, parsley, capers, lemon and beetroot.