- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 522
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 31g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 27g
- Sodium Content: 2.9g
Sweet & sour chicken
- chicken-breast - 2-3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, (about 400g/14oz total weight)
- soy-sauce - 1 tbsp soy sauce
- sesame-oil - 2 tsp sesame oil
- sunflower-oil - groundnut or sunflower oil, for deep frying, plus extra for stir-frying
- tempura-batter - tempura batter (see below)
- red-pepper - 1 small red pepper, cored, deseeded and roughly chopped
- carrot - 1 medium carrot, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- garlic-clove - 2 fat garlic cloves, chopped
- root-ginger - 2 tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- soy-sauce - 3 tbsp soy sauce
- white-wine-vinegar - 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- sherry - 3 tbsp sherry
- brown-sugar - 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- cornflour - 1 tsp cornflour
- Cut the chicken into small chunks and mix with the soy sauce and sesame oil. In a jug or bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients with 100ml cold water. Line a large plate with kitchen paper.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a deep-fat fryer to about 180C. Then dip a few chunks of chicken at a time into the batter, then place in the hot oil using tongs or a slotted spoon, but don't crowd the pan. Fry until crisp and golden - about 2 mins. You may need to do this in batches, so reheat the oil each time. As the chunks cook, lift out with tongs/spoon to the paper-lined plate to drain.
- Heat a wok to hot, add about 3 tbsp oil and stir-fry the vegetables with the garlic and ginger for about 3 mins. Give the sauce a quick final stir and pour into the wok, mixing as it cooks to a light glossy sauce. Bubble for 1 min, then spoon over the chicken and serve.
Chinese recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has chicken breast, soy sauce, sesame oil, sunflower oil, tempura batter, red pepper, carrot, garlic clove, root ginger, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, sherry, brown sugar and cornflour.