- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 325
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 41g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.72g
Sweet & sour lentil dhal with grilled aubergine
- red-lentil - 100g red lentils, rinsed
- turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- tamarind - 1 tbsp tamarind paste (we used Bart)
- vegetable-oil - 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- onion - 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ginger - 3cm/1 1/4 inch piece ginger, grated
- curry-powder - 1 tsp curry powder
- aubergine - 1 medium aubergine, cut into 2 cm slices
- basmati-rice - cooked basmati rice, lime or mango chutney and a few coriander leaves, to serve, if you like
- Cover the lentils, turmeric and tamarind paste with 500ml water. Add some salt and boil for 15 mins or until very soft. Skim off any foam that forms on the top. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil and cook the onion, garlic and ginger until golden, about 5 mins.
- Add the curry powder and cook for a further 2 mins. Pour in the lentil mixture and cook for another 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Rub the remaining oil over the aubergine slices and season. Cook for 2-3 mins each side until cooked through and charred. Eat with basmati rice, lime or mango chutney and a sprinkling of coriander, if you like.
Diabetes-friendly recipe for 2 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has red lentil, turmeric, tamarind, vegetable oil, onion, garlic clove, ginger, curry powder, aubergine and basmati rice.