- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 436
- Fat Content: 30g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Carbohydrate Content: 23g
- Sugar Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 17g
- Sodium Content: 2.9g
Tamarind squash & halloumi skewers
- butternut-squash - 1 medium butternut squash (about 700g), deseeded, peeled and cut into cubes
- halloumi - 250g halloumi, cut into cubes
- coriander - 1/2 small pack coriander, finely chopped
- mint - 1/2 small pack mint, finely chopped
- tamarind-paste - 1 heaped tbsp tamarind paste
- soy-sauce - 2 tbsp soy sauce
- sesame-oil - 60ml sesame oil
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, crushed
- lime - zest and juice 2 limes
- red-chilli - 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- light-brown-soft-sugar - 1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- skewer - 8 metal skewers
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the squash and cook for 10-15 mins or until slightly tender (if you're going to cook the squash in a griddle pan, boil for an extra few mins as it's not as fierce as a barbecue). Drain and set aside.
- To make the marinade, whisk the tamarind with 2 tbsp boiling water. Once dissolved, whisk together with the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, lime zest and juice, chilli and brown sugar. Keep whisking until the sugar has dissolved, then season to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss together the squash, halloumi, marinade and herbs. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hr. Once marinated, alternately thread the squash and halloumi onto the skewers. Drizzle with a little of the remaining marinade.
- If barbecuing, put the skewers directly on the BBQ and cook for 3-4 mins on each side or until lightly charred, brushing with the marinade as they cook. Alternatively, heat a griddle pan until really hot and cook the skewers for 5 mins on either side. Serve immediately.
Vegetarian barbecue recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has butternut squash, halloumi, coriander, mint, tamarind paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic clove, lime, red chilli, light brown soft sugar and skewer.