- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 541
- Fat Content: 40g
- Saturated Fat Content: 20g
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 34g
- Sodium Content: 1.5g
Thai beef curry
- groundnut-oil - 2-3 tbsp groundnut oil
- beef - 2kg beef short ribs (bone-in ribs left whole), or brisket, cut into large chunks
- coriander - large bunch coriander
- lemongrass - 2 lemongrass stalks, 1 bashed, 1 roughly chopped
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- green-chilli - 1-2 green chillies, roughly chopped, deseeded if you like
- galangal - 2cm-piece galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped
- rice-wine-vinegar - 50ml rice wine vinegar
- fish-sauce - 50ml fish sauce
- brown-sugar - 2 tbsp palm or light brown sugar
- coconut-milk - 400g can coconut milk
- star-anise - 2 star anise
- kaffir-lime-leaf - 6 kaffir lime leaves
- lime - juice 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- Heat a little of the oil in a large pan and brown the beef in batches, removing to a plate after, reserving any juices. If your slow cooker has a browning function, use this instead. Meanwhile, in a mini chopper or food processor, whizz half the coriander, the chopped lemongrass, garlic, chillies and galangal with the rest of the oil until you have a rough paste.
- Turn the slow cooker to High. Heat the paste for a few mins, then add the beef and all the remaining ingredients, apart from the remaining coriander and lime juice. Turn slow cooker to Low and cook for 8 hrs, or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- If using beef ribs, remove bones from the beef, then shred the meat with 2 forks. If the sauce is too thin, strain it off and boil it to reduce. Stir in the remaining coriander and lime juice, then season with more fish sauce or sugar.
Thai recipe for 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has groundnut oil, beef, coriander, lemongrass, garlic clove, green chilli, galangal, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar, coconut milk, star anise, kaffir lime leaf and lime.