- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 97
- Fat Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 12g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 0.12g
The ultimate makeover: Chocolate chip cookies
- butter - 85g butter
- cocoa-powder - 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- coffee - 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- muscovado-sugar - 85g light muscovado sugar
- granulated-sugar - 25g golden granulated sugar
- dark-chocolate - 85g dark chocolate, about 70% cocoa solids (we used Lindt as it keeps its shape when baked)
- egg - 1 medium egg, beaten
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- plain-flour - 140g plain flour
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Line a couple of baking sheets with baking parchment. Put the butter, cocoa and coffee in a medium saucepan then heat gently until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat, stir in both the sugars, then leave to cool.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Beat the egg and vanilla into the cooled butter mix to make a smooth batter. Stir the flour and bicarbarbonate of soda together. Tip it into the batter mixture with two-thirds of the chocolate, then gently stir together to combine. Don't overmix. Leave for 10-15 mins to firm up slightly, ready for shaping. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 22 small balls. Lay them on the lined sheets, well apart so they have room to spread (you may have to bake in batches). Press the rest of the chocolate pieces on top of each cookie. Can be frozen on sheets and then transferred to bags at this stage for up to 1 month. Bake for 12 mins. Leave on the sheets for a couple of mins, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Ultimate makeover recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has butter, cocoa powder, coffee, muscovado sugar, granulated sugar, dark chocolate, egg, vanilla extract, plain flour and bicarbonate of soda.