- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 719
- Fat Content: 17g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 105g
- Sugar Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 29g
- Sodium Content: 1.38g
Toddler recipe: homemade pizza with veggie faces
- flour - 150g wholemeal spelt flour
- flour - 350g strong white flour
- yeast - 1 1/2 tsp dried fast action yeast
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- tomato - 1 can chopped tomatoes
- garlic-clove - 1 small garlic clove
- thyme - pinch of dried thyme
- cheddar - 160g grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- pepper - 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- pepper - 1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- courgette - 1 courgette, cut into rounds or spiralized
- tomato - 1 small pack cherry tomatoes, halved
- olives - handful pitted olives
- sweetcorn - 1 can salt-free sweetcorn, drained
- To make the dough, put both flours into a large bowl, then stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well, pour in 400ml warm water and the olive oil and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a soft, fairly wet dough. Bring together with a light knead in the bowl then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth. Cover with a tea towel and set aside. Leave the dough to rise if you have time but it's not essential for a thin crust.
- To make the sauce, blitz the tomatoes, garlic and thyme and a little seasoning, either in a food processor or using ahand blender.
- Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C/gas 8. Get the toppings ready in bowls so that your children can decorate their own.
- If the dough has had time to rise, give it a little knead in the bowl, then split into four balls. On a floured surface, roll out two of the balls into wide circles using arolling pin. The dough needs to be very thin as it will rise in the oven. Lift these onto two floured baking sheets or pizza trays.
- Smooth sauce over bases with a spoon. Scatter with cheese, then start making the faces. Courgette rounds make great eyes or cheeks, halved courgette rounds can be used for ears and spiralised courgette for hair. Strips of pepper are good for eyebrows and mouths while olives and halved cherry tomatoes make great eyes or earrings. Sweetcorn can be used for teeth or freckles. Let their imagination go wild.
- Cook for around 10-15 mins until crisp. You'll want to swap the pizzas to a lower shelf halfway through the cooking time.
- Repeat for the second two pizzas or freeze the balls of dough in two separate freezer bags, plus any remaining sauce in a sealed container.
Pizza recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has flour, flour, yeast, salt, olive oil, tomato, garlic clove, thyme, cheddar, pepper, pepper, courgette, tomato, olives and sweetcorn.Add to Favourites