- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 213
- Fat Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 23g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.16g
Toddler recipe: Mild split pea & spinach dhal
- yellow-split-peas - 175g yellow split peas
- coconut-oil - 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- onion - 1 small onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- mustard-seeds - 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp turmeric
- curry-powder - 1 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- unsalted-cashew-nuts - 50g unsalted cashew nuts, chopped
- vegetable-stock-cube - 1 very low salt vegetable stock cube (we used Kallo)
- spinach - 100g frozen chopped spinach
- yogurt - plain yogurt, pitta bread or rice, to serve
- Soak the yellow split peas in a bowl of water for 20 mins. Rinse thoroughly in a few changes of water.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-basedsaucepan. Cook the onion for 5-10 mins, stirring from time to time until softened and starting to caramelise. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a further 1-2 mins allowing the aromas to release.
- Pulse the cashews in afood processorinto fine pieces - make sure you do this well so that there is no risk of choking. Add the split peas and cashews to the pan, then pour in enough water to cover it by a few cms. Crumble in the veg stock cube. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 1hr or until the split peas are tender, stirring from time to time. If they start to look a little dry, add in more water as needed during the cooking. Stir through the frozen chopped spinach and once the dhal is hot throughout, serve with a dollop of yogurt on top, pitta or brown rice.
Toddler recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has yellow split peas, coconut oil, onion, garlic clove, mustard seeds, turmeric, curry powder, unsalted cashew nuts, vegetable stock cube, spinach and yogurt.