- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 337
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 35g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 16g
- Sodium Content: 0.45g
Toddler recipe: Mini shepherd’s pies
- rapeseed-oil - 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- onion - 1 onion, chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- carrot - 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- celery - 1 stick celery, diced
- pepper - 1 yellow pepper, diced
- cumin - pinch of cumin
- lamb-mince - 250g lean lamb mince (10% fat)
- courgette - 1 courgette, diced
- tomato-puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- beef-stock - 400ml low salt beef stock (we used Kallo for gluten-free pies, see tip below)
- lentils - 100g lentils, thoroughly rinsed
- maris-piper-potatoes - 1.2kg Maris Piper potatoes
- butter - 50g butter
- milk - 75ml milk
- cheddar - 60g grated cheddar
- Heat the oil in a mediumsaucepan, add the onion and cook for around 5 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic, carrots, celery, pepper and cumin. Cook for a further two mins, then add the lamb. Brown the meat, tipping off any excess fat. Add the courgette and tomato puree, then fry for a few mins more. Pour in the stock, add the lentils and bring to a simmer. Cook for 40 mins, stirring from time to time.
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 mins until tender.Drain,then mash with the butter and milk.
- Remove the lamb mixture from the heat and use astick blenderto puree. Stir as you puree, blending down the pieces of vegetables. Spoon into 8 largishindividual ramekins. Top with the mash and grated cheese.The pie can now be chilled and frozen for up to a month.
- Bake for 30 mins until the top is golden and the mince is bubbling up at the sides.(Cook from frozen at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 for about 40 mins, then turn up to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 for 20-30 mins or until golden on top and piping hot in the centre.)Leave to stand for at least 10 mins before serving. Check it has cooled down sufficiently in the centre before giving it to young children.
Toddler recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has rapeseed oil, onion, garlic clove, carrot, celery, pepper, cumin, lamb mince, courgette, tomato purée, beef stock, lentils, maris piper potatoes, butter, milk and cheddar.