- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 264
- Fat Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 58g
- Sugar Content: 38g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 1g
Treacle apple pudding
- bramley-apple - 2-3 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 250g flesh)
- brown-sugar - 100g light soft brown sugar
- golden-syrup - 50g golden syrup, plus 2 tbsp
- butter - butter, for greasing
- apple - 1 tangy eating apple, such as Braeburn
- lemon-juice - squeeze of lemon juice
- self-raising-flour - 175g self-raising flour
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ground-cinnamon - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ground-ginger - 1 tsp ground ginger
- large-egg - 1 large egg
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the chopped Bramleys in a saucepan, add 100ml water and bring to the boil. Cover and cook for 5 mins until the apples are very soft. Beat to a puree with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar and 50g of the syrup, bring to a simmer, then set aside and cool.
- While you wait, grease the inside of a 1.3-litre pudding basin. Spoon 2 tbsp syrup into the bottom. Peel and core the eating apple, slice half and chop the rest. Toss in the lemon juice and nestle the sliced apple into the syrup in the bottom of the basin.
- Sift the flour, bicarb and spices into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Beat the egg into the saucy apple, then tip this and the remaining chopped apple into the bowl and stir until smooth. It will start to rise a little as you mix. Quickly turn the batter into the basin, level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins or until well risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cover with foil towards the end of cooking if the sponge browns too quickly. Leave to rest for a few mins, then turn out onto a plate.
Comfort food recipe for 6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has bramley apple, brown sugar, golden syrup, butter, apple, lemon juice, self-raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger and large egg.