- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 480
- Fat Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Carbohydrate Content: 64g
- Sugar Content: 41g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.53g
Ultimate lemon meringue pie
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- butter - 100g cold butter, cut in small pieces
- icing-sugar - 1 tbsp icing sugar
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk
- cornflour - 2 level tbsp cornflour
- golden-caster-sugar - 100g golden caster sugar
- lemon - finely grated zest 2 large lemon
- lemon-juice - 125ml fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- orange - juice 1 small orange
- butter - 85g butter, cut into pieces
- egg-yolk - 3 egg yolks and a 1 whole egg
- egg-white - 4 egg whites, room temperature
- golden-caster-sugar - 200g golden caster sugar
- cornflour - 2 level tsp cornflour
- For the pastry, put 175g plain flour, 100g cold butter, cut into small pieces, 1 tbsp icing sugar, 1 egg yolk (save the white for the meringue) and 1 tbsp cold water into afood processor.
- Using the pulse button so the mix is not overworked, process until the mix starts to bind.
- Tip the pastry onto a lightly floured surface, gather together until smooth, thenroll outand line a 23 x 2.5cm loose-bottom fluted flan tin.
- Trim and neaten the edges. Press pastry into flutes. The pastry is quite rich, so don't worry if it cracks, just press it back together. Prick the base with a fork, line with foil, shiny side down, and chill for 1/2-1 hour (or overnight).
- Put abaking sheetin the oven and heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Bake the pastry case 'blind' (filled with dry beans) for 15 mins, then remove the foil and bake a further 5-8 mins until the pastry is pale golden and cooked.
- Set aside.Can be done a day ahead if you want to get ahead.Lower the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- While the pastry bakes, prepare the filling: mix 2 level tbsp cornflour, 100g golden caster sugar and finely grated zest of 2 large lemons in a mediumsaucepan. Strain and stir in 125ml lemon juice gradually.
- Make the juice of 1 small orange up to 200ml with water and strain into the pan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Once the mixture bubbles, remove from the heat and beat in 85g butter until melted.Beat3 egg yolks (save white for meringue) and 1 whole egg together, stir into the pan and return to a medium heat.
- Keep stirring vigorously for a few minutes, until the mixture thickens and plops from the spoon. (It will bubble, but doesn't curdle.) Take off the heat and set aside while you make the meringue.
- Put 4 egg whites in a largebowl. Whisk to soft peaks, then add 100g of the golden caster sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking between each addition without overbeating.
- Whisk in 2 level tsp cornflour, then add the remaining 100g of the golden caster sugar as before until smooth and thick.
- Quickly reheat the filling and pour it into the pastry case. Immediately putspoonfulsof meringue around the edge of the filling (if you start in the middle the meringue may sink), then spread so it just touches the pastry (this will anchor it and help stop it sliding).
- Pile the rest into the centre,spreadingso it touches the surface of the hot filling (and starts to cook), then give it all a swirl.
- Return to the oven for 18-20 mins until the meringue is crisp and slightly coloured. Let the pie sit in the tin for 30 mins, then remove and leave for at least another 1/2-1 hr before slicing. Eat the same day.
Ultimate recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has plain flour, butter, icing sugar, egg yolk, cornflour, golden caster sugar, lemon, lemon juice, orange, butter, egg yolk, egg white, golden caster sugar and cornflour.