- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 391
- Fat Content: 23g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 43g
- Sugar Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.42g
Ultimate roast potatoes
- Put aroasting tinin the oven (one big enough to take the potatoes in a single layer) and heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Peelthe 1kg potatoes and cut each into 4 even-sized pieces if they are medium size, 2-3 if smaller (5cm pieces).
- Drop the potatoes into a largepanand pour in enough water to barely cover them.
- Add salt, then wait for the water to boil. As soon as the water reaches a full rolling boil, lower the heat, put your timer on and simmer the potatoes uncovered, reasonably vigorously, for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, put 100g duck or goose fat or 100ml olive oil into the hot roasting tin and heat it in the oven for a few mins, so it's really hot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander then shake thecolanderback and forth a few times to fluff up the outsides.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp flour and give another shake or two so they are evenly and thinly coated.
- Carefully put the potatoes into the hot fat - they will sizzle as they go in - then turn and roll them around so they are coated all over.
- Spread them in a single layer making sure they have plenty of room.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 mins, then take them out of the oven and turn them over.
- Roast for another 15 mins and turn them over again. Put them back in the oven for another 10-20 mins, or however long it takes to get them really golden and crisp. The colouring will be uneven, which is what you want.
- Scatter with Maldon salt and serve straight away.
Christmas recipe for 4 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has potato, goose fat, flour and salt.