- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 392
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Fat Content: 28g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
- Sugar Content: 2g
Vegan Christmas wreath
- spinach - 250g spinach
- tofu - 250g silken tofu
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- pine-nuts - 50g pine nuts, toasted
- nutmeg - generous grating nutmeg
- garlic-clove - 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- lemon - 2 lemons, zested
- dill - 1 small pack dill, 3/4 leaves chopped, 1/4 fronds reserved for decorating
- sour-cherries - 1 tbsp sour cherries
- cranberries - 1/2 tbsp dried cranberries, plus a few extra
- flour - flour, for rolling
- shortcrust-pastry - 500g block shortcrust pastry (we used vegan Jus-Rol)
- almond-milk - almond milk, for brushing
- Put the spinach in a colander, then pour over a kettle of boiling water and leave to wilt. Once cool, wring out the excess moisture using a clean tea towel, then chop the spinach and put in a large bowl. Stir in the tofu, oil, pine nuts, nutmeg, garlic, lemon zest, chopped dill and fruit until well combined, season generously and set aside.
- On a well-floured surface, roll the pastry out into a 60 x 20cm rectangle. Leaving a 1cm border, spoon the spinach mixture along the length of the pastry, leaving a 2cm gap at both short ends. Fold in the two short ends to stop any of the filling coming out, then roll the pastry away from you to enclose the filling and create a long sausage shape. Join the two ends together to create a wreath shape and stick together with a little almond milk. Transfer the wreath to a baking tray lined with baking parchment and chill for 20 mins. Can be made up to this point a day in advance and kept covered in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Using a sharp knife, cut slashes across the top of the wreath. Mix a little almond milk with some olive oil (this will help the pastry colour) and brush all over the wreath. Bake for 40-45 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 mins, then transfer to a board and decorate with the reserved dill fronds and some dried cranberries.
Vegan Christmas recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has spinach, tofu, extra virgin olive oil, pine nuts, nutmeg, garlic clove, lemon, dill, sour cherries, cranberries, flour, shortcrust pastry and almond milk.