- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 268
- Fat Content: 3g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 51g
- Sugar Content: 15g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 0.34g
Vegan hot cross buns
- almond-milk - 300ml unsweetened almond milk
- dairy-free-spread - 50g dairy-free spread
- strong-white-bread-flour - 500g strong white bread flour
- yeast - 7g sachet fast action yeast
- golden-caster-sugar - 70g golden caster sugar
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- cinnamon - 2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- mixed-spice - 2 heaped tsp mixed spice
- orange - 1 large orange, zested
- sultanas - 70g sultanas
- mixed-peel - 50g mixed peel
- plain-flour - 70g plain flour
- jam - 50g apricot jam
- Put the almond milk in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once simmering, add the spread, remove from the heat and allow to melt. Set aside to cool to hand temperature.
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and spices in a largemixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk mixture, swiftly combining with a wooden spoon to create a sticky dough. Tip out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough by stretching it back and forth on the surface for 5 - 7 mins or until smooth, springy and elastic. Shape into a ball and put into a lightly oiled mixing bowl. Cover and leave in a warm spot to rise, for 1hr or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough back onto the surface and flatten into a round. Spread the orange zest, sultanas and mixed peel onto the dough and knead again until everything is well distributed. Form into a ball, return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise for another hour.
- Line a largebaking sheetwith baking parchment. Knock the dough back by turning it out onto your surface and gently punching out the air. Divide the dough into 12 even-sized pieces, weighing for accuracy if you like. Roll each one into a ball. Arrange the buns on the baking sheet, leaving a 2cm space between each one. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for 45 mins.
- Heat the oven to 220C/ 200 fan/ gas 7. To make the cross, in a small bowl, mix together the flour with 1 tbsp of water at a time to create a thick, pipeable paste. Spoon it into apiping bagfitted with a small round nozzle and pipe crosses on the buns. Transfer to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 15-20 mins or until deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the jam in a small saucepan over a low heat to loosen. Pass through a sieve to remove any lumps. Once cooked, brush the warm jam over the tops of the buns. Set aside to cool a little before eating.
Easter baking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has almond milk, dairy-free spread, strong white bread flour, yeast, golden caster sugar, salt, cinnamon, mixed spice, orange, sultanas, mixed peel, plain flour and jam.Add to Favourites