- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 650
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 80g
- Sugar Content: 31g
- Fiber Content: 23g
- Protein Content: 25g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Vegetable tagine with apricot quinoa
- coconut-oil - 1 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- red-onion - 1 red onion, chopped
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- butternut-squash - 1/2 butternut squash (500g), chopped into large chunks
- red-peppers - 2 red peppers, chopped
- chickpeas - 400g can chickpeas, drained
- chopped-tomatoes - 400g can chopped tomatoes
- vegetable-stock - 500ml vegan vegetable stock (such as Marigold Vegan Bouillon Powder)
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ground-cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- turmeric - 2 tsp turmeric
- paprika - 2 tsp paprika
- coriander - small bunch coriander, chopped
- mint - small bunch mint, chopped, plus extra to serve
- pomegranate-seeds - pomegranate seeds, to serve (optional)
- quinoa - 280g quinoa
- dried-apricots - 80g dried apricots, chopped
- flaked-almonds - 20g flaked almonds, toasted
- tahini - 4 tbsp tahini
- preserved-lemon - 2 tsp preserved lemon, finely chopped, plus 2 tsp liquid from the jar
- almond-milk - 6 tbsp almond milk
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 3 mins. Add the garlic and butternut squash, and cook for a further 7 mins.
- Add the remaining vegetables and continue to fry for 3 mins before adding the chickpeas, tomatoes and stock, along with the spices and seasoning. Simmer for 30 mins, uncovered. Meanwhile, put 750ml water in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer, then add the quinoa and cook for 20 mins. When cooked, stir in the apricots and almonds, plus a pinch of salt.
- To make the tahini dressing, whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Serve the quinoa with the tagine, and drizzle the tahini dressing over the top. Scatter over some chopped coriander and mint and the pomegranate seeds, if using, to finish.
Healthy vegan recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has coconut oil, red onion, garlic cloves, butternut squash, red peppers, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, turmeric, paprika, coriander, mint, pomegranate seeds, quinoa, dried apricots, flaked almonds, tahini, preserved lemon and almond milk.