- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 533
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 69g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
Warm pearl barley & roasted carrot salad with dill vinaigrette
- carrot - 1 large bunch of carrots, peeled and cut into diagonal slices (approx. 500g/1lb 2oz)
- banana-shallot - 5 banana shallots, quartered
- garlic-clove - 4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- fennel-seed - 1 tsp fennel seeds
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- pearl-barley - 300g pearl barley
- parsley - small pack parsley, roughly chopped
- dill - 1/2 small pack dill, roughly chopped
- blue-cheese - 140g blue cheese, crumbled
- fennel - a few fennel tops or dill, to serve (optional)
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- white-wine-vinegar - 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- lemon - juice 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the sliced carrots in a large roasting tin with the shallots, garlic and fennel seeds. Drizzle over the oil, toss everything together and season. Roast for 35-40 mins until everything has caramelised and the carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, boil the pearl barley in a large pan of salted water until al dente, about 30 mins. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together with some seasoning. Remove the carrots from the oven.
- Strain the pearl barley and toss through the dressing, carrots, dill, parsley and half the cheese. Finish with a few of the fennel tops and the remaining cheese. Serve warm or cold with a slice or two of warm buttered soda bread, if you like.
Vegetarian salad recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has carrot, banana shallot, garlic clove, fennel seed, olive oil, pearl barley, parsley, dill, blue cheese, fennel, olive oil, white wine vinegar and lemon.