Aubergines & feta with chilli
- aubergine - 8 large aubergines
- sea-salt - 500g box sea salt flakes (you won't need the whole box)
- red-wine-vinegar - 200ml red wine vinegar
- olive-oil - 500ml bottle light olive oil
- oregano - 3 tsp dried oregano
- chilli - 1 tsp chilli flakes
- black-peppercorn - 2 tsp black peppercorns
- feta-cheese - 200g pack feta cheese
- The night before, slice the aubergines lengthways as thinly as you can - about the depth of a PS1 coin is ideal. Layer the slices in a colander, sprinkling generously with sea salt, and cover with cling film. Sit the colander over a large bowl and leave in the fridge overnight (or for at least 8 hrs).
- Discard the juice from the aubergines. Put the red wine vinegar into a large pan with an equal quantity of cold water and bring to the boil. Add the aubergine slices, return to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 3 mins or until tender. You may need to do this in batches. Drain on kitchen paper and pat thoroughly dry.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat until hot but not smoking. Brush the strips with a little oil on both sides and cook for about 2 mins each side or until well-charred. You'll need to do this in several batches.
- Heat the rest of the oil, oregano, chilli and black peppercorns together in a saucepan over a low heat until warm - but not too hot or the chilli will catch. Drain the cheese and cut into cubes. Pack the aubergines and cheese into the jars and top up with the herby oil. Seal in jars or in heatproof containers (as before) and leave to cool. Keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Edible gift recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has aubergine, sea salt, red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, chilli, black peppercorn and feta cheese.