- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serving: 4 - 8 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 294
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Fat Content: 19g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.57g
- Sugar Content: 13g
Banbury cakes Recipe
Banbury cakes is a Retro cake recipe for 4 - 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, honey and nutmeg.
- Sugar - 1-2 tbsp nibbed sugar or crushed rough-edged sugar cubes
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Honey - 1 tbsp English honey
- Plain Flour - plain flour, for dusting
- Unsalted Butter - 50g unsalted butter, softened
- Ground Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Egg White - 1 egg white, beaten
- Orange Peel - 50g candied orange peel
- Currant - 100g currants
- Puff Pastry - 500g pack all-butter puff pastry
- Cream the butter and honey together with the spices. Add the currants and the candied peel and mix well. On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to the thickness of a PS1 coin and cut out 10 x 10cm circles, re-rolling any trimmings. Divide the filling between the circles.
- Bring up the edges of the pastry to enclose the filling and crimp the edges of the pastry together to look like little purses. Turn the parcels over, with the folds underneath. Roll each parcel out gently to an oval shape, taking care not to expose the filling.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place the cakes on a baking sheet lined with non-stick paper. Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Cook for 25-30 mins until cooked and crispy. Turn the oven down if the tops brown too quickly.
- When cooked, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool a little before eating. When cold, they're excellent spread with a little salted butter.