- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 294
- Fat Content: 19g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Sugar Content: 13g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.57g
- unsalted-butter - 50g unsalted butter, softened
- honey - 1 tbsp English honey
- nutmeg - 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ground-cinnamon - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- currant - 100g currants
- orange-peel - 50g candied orange peel
- plain-flour - plain flour, for dusting
- puff-pastry - 500g pack all-butter puff pastry
- egg-white - 1 egg white, beaten
- sugar - 1-2 tbsp nibbed sugar or crushed rough-edged sugar cubes
- Cream the butter and honey together with the spices. Add the currants and the candied peel and mix well. On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to the thickness of a PS1 coin and cut out 10 x 10cm circles, re-rolling any trimmings. Divide the filling between the circles.
- Bring up the edges of the pastry to enclose the filling and crimp the edges of the pastry together to look like little purses. Turn the parcels over, with the folds underneath. Roll each parcel out gently to an oval shape, taking care not to expose the filling.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place the cakes on a baking sheet lined with non-stick paper. Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Cook for 25-30 mins until cooked and crispy. Turn the oven down if the tops brown too quickly.
- When cooked, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool a little before eating. When cold, they're excellent spread with a little salted butter.
Retro cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, honey, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, currant, orange peel, plain flour, puff pastry, egg white and sugar.Add to Favourites