- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 1356
- Carbohydrate Content: 111g
- Fat Content: 75g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 56g
- Saturated Fat Content: 36g
- Sodium Content: 3.2g
- Sugar Content: 8g
Beef & beer pie Recipe
Beef & beer pie is a Pie recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has onion, celery and butter.
- Beef - 700g beef shin, featherblade or stewing steak, cut into large chunks
- Onion - 1 onion, chopped
- Egg - 1 egg, beaten
- Butter - 2 tbsp butter
- Thyme - 2 sprigs thyme
- Celery - 1 small celery stick, chopped
- Plain Flour - 2 tbsp plain flour
- Poppy Seed - a few pinches poppy seeds
- Worcestershire Sauce - 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Beef Stock Cube - 2 beef stock cubes
- Ale - 540ml can dark ale or beer
- Suet - 250g vegetarian suet
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Using a flameproof casserole dish with a lid, soften onion and celery in the butter. Stir in the flour until it has disappeared, then stir in the beef and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble in stock cubes and add thyme. Pour over ale, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hrs. Remove lid and cook for another 30 mins - this should thicken the sauce nicely.
- Increase oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. For the pastry, whizz the flour, suet and 1 tsp salt in a food processor until there are no suet lumps. Keeping the motor running, dribble in 1 tbsp water at a time until the pastry starts to come together, then tip onto a lightly floured surface and bring together with your hands.
- Roll out half the pastry and use to line a 20-22cm pie dish. Using a slotted spoon, spoon in all of the meat, then pour over some of the sauce until the meat is just coated. Put the rest of the sauce into a saucepan. Roll out the remaining pastry to cover the pie. Trim the edge with a small, sharp knife, then crimp or fork the edges to seal. Make a small heart from cuttings. Brush top of the pie and heart with beaten egg, then dip heart into poppy seeds and stick to top. Bake for 30-40 mins until golden brown and crisp. Reheat sauce and serve with the pie along with some mash and greens.